Sunday 28 September 2008

it's all greek to me

It's been a while since my last blog entry... I haven't done much work on modest lately, but it is in safe hands. I did start a new little hobby project though; it's called mu, and it's a collection of command line tools to index / search e-mails stored in Maildirs. It doesn't run on N8x0 (yet), but I guess it wouldn't be very hard to port it. Of course, this kind of software has been written before - but for a hobby project, that does not really matter. It's all about trying things out.

I am taking notes about the things I learn as I go along... there's a lot of optimization stuff to discuss but unfortunately, it's too much to fit into this blog entry... will write about that later. I am off to Greece now -- to corrupt the youth of Athens. I hope I can understand the people; I taught myself a little bit, but rumours have it that the language has changed quite a bit in the last 2500 years...

And not to forget: happy birthday, GNU. 25 years... I may not always agree with RMS, but he deserves the greatest respect for his accomplishments. A George Bernard Shaw quote comes to mind:


"Reasonable people adapt themselves to the world. Unreasonable people attempt to adapt the world to themselves. All progress, therefore, depends on unreasonable people.".

1 comment:

zeenix said...

Hi Dirk!
If you want to get 'mu' into maemo, you should integrate it with tracker. It will make your app really thin and easy to manage as well.